21 Jan 2013

final mum + dad update

 


I've now seen for myself what the bushfires of January 4 have done to Boomer Bay and to my parents' home.
 
As I have said, they stayed and fought off the bushfire and successfully saved their house. And they are safe and relatively unscathed (a minor burn on dad's wrist, a heat rash on mum's legs).

All of their beautiful front garden, with established trees and shrubs and much colour, is gone - wiped clean; nothing but blackened bare earth and some skeletal trees remained (however, nature is already fighting on).
 
Half of dad's fruit orchard - cherries, plums, apples, apricots, pears, quinces, and various berries - have been either burnt or scorched by the flames' radiant heat. With good-sized dams, dad is working hard to ensure the remaining trees survive, but at the moment it is 'wait and see' what will survive.

A spot-fire from a flying ember and the intense heat of nearby flames burnt or frazzled the corn, much of the beans, many of the tomatoes, and the cucumbers that dad had planted for mum to pickle. We spent much of Saturday clearing those plots out. Some of the zucchinis, some squash, rhubarb and carrots were far enough away to escape too much damage.

And some roses, gladioli and other trees and flowers near those tough little chickens also escaped the heat and flames. So look one way, there is utter, blank devastation; pivot 90 degrees and there is colour and life.

As amazing as the story of the garden is, this post is not about which plants survived and which ones didn't.

This is about my phenomenal parents.

It was not until I saw how extensive the damage was to the garden - how wide that fire front must have been, which leapt onto their property in an instant with a sudden change of wind direction, taking them from safe to danger - and just how close it got to their house did I realise how brave, hard working, determined, amazing my parents must have been. I am in shock and awe and immensely proud and overwhelmed by what they did on that day.

They told me they watched the fire in the dry paddock across the road from them travel past in one direction; dad said to mum at the time, 'if the wind stays that way, we'll be safe'. No sooner had he spoken those words than the wind did change and the flames leapt onto their property.

And then I can only imagine that they just started working - dad with his irrigating hoses, pumping water from the dam, mum with buckets - to fight and defeat those flames.

People have said they were lucky. No. Luck and weather conditions played only a very small part in them saving their house and staying alive. My parents' unwavering, determined and courageous physical hard work won the day.

I will forever be in awe of them.

14 comments:

  1. I, too, am in awe of your parents. What wonderful, determined, hard working folks - a family to be proud of, for sure. I am also devastated to hear about the loss of their gardens and orchard. I've loved hearing about your dad's orchard in the past, and seeing photographs of their little piece of paradise. I hope your parents manage to save some of their plants. And i look forward to hearing about their endeavours along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, it is a charred paradise now, and it is sad to see the apples and pears and other fruit that were really only a couple of weeks away from being ready to eat (and cook and turn into jam and cakes) now not an option. Whether or not the trees even survive remains to be seen.
      But dad and mum are being positive about reviving the garden in some form over the next couple of years - it is obviously a long-term project now. Just getting to soil to recover will be a big part of it.
      Thank you for your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Dear e, those photos are just terrifying, and you must have been beside yourself when you realised just what a close shave they had. But how marvellous to have heroes for parents!

    I guess you are feeling so much better now that you can visit them and help them out. What a long road back to the garden that was so beautiful just a couple of weeks ago.

    Do send along good wishes and heartfelt admiration from this blog reader..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Jo - thank you. and yes, that photo of dad with rusty (an ex-farm dog they rescued about a year ago) shows me just what they must have done (mum obviously took it once the immediate danger was over) and it makes me tear up everytime i look at it. It says so much.
      helping them each weekend with the physical work is a good way of getting thru it - making a practical difference to situation.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear from you e. The photos of your parents scorched garden really are devastating, how incredibly frightening this must have been for them. I admire their determination and bravery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jane. They are amazingly strong and resilient, and I so admire their ability to just get on with it.
      we are all amazed at how there are little bits of greenery poking thru already - the naked lady bulbs, the salvias, some little annuals' seedlings - so there is much hope here for the garden.

      Delete
  4. Oh.Tears reading this. I can only imagine. So glad to hear the updates and hear of their resilience and determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! don't cry! i do enough of that for everyone. thank you michelle for your kind words.
      and i will find time soon to get to your site - sorry for my tardiness.

      Delete
  5. Hi sweetie,

    This made me cry too! I think it is partly the (well deserved) esteem you have for your parents that is so touching. I hope having to start again isn't too devastating.

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, have i made everyone cry? oh! as i said, everytime i look at that pic of dad (i have it propped on my bedside table) i cry - even though i know he is safe - because it shows his no-nonsense bravery. which is my dad (my parents): let's just get on with it.
      but as i has said, they are being realistic but positive about the road ahead for their garden. every day a new shoot appears on a rose bush or a little clump of seedlings emerges, there is excitement and hope.
      thank you B XX

      Delete
  6. The are truely very brave, I can't even begin to imagine what it is like over there at the moment. It is good that they are safe, it put every day grumble into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou allison, i agree. i was digging this morning and i thought, gee this ground is do dry and horrible. and then i pulled myself up and remembered mum and dad's baked-hard burnt garden beds.

      Delete
  7. That is really scary stuff! Your parents are awesome. Best wishes and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you leaf. i now look at mum and dad in a whole new light.

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.