8 Jan 2013

boomer bay / mum + dad update

Thank you again to everyone who has left messages here, or phoned and texted me. Mum is still amazed when I say 'people from Argentina and New Zealand are sending you their good wishes'. The power of the internet. Thank you, sincerely.

Power is still out and likely to be out for a month or so while they re-instate the burned down power poles; luckily dad has generators so they can boil the kettle and keep their fridges and freezers running (intermittently), so they can eat. Mobile phone communications also remain very patchy, which makes our conversations snatched and for me, unsatisfying. The main road down to the peninsula is not yet open properly, so I feel very impotent here, unable to get down to them and help physically to ensure their property remains safe - the risks are not over yet. As soon as that road is open safely, I will be gone.

Dad has estimated that they lost 75% of their landscaped/ornamental garden, and 50% of his fruit trees. But as he said, you can buy new trees. This to me indicates how close to the house the fire got and my mind boggles at what they must have gone thru to defend their home. I think they truly are brave and heroic.

As difficult as it is, I am trying to resume some normal routine. I have a cake in the oven right now, and hopefully I will share that with you soon; I am going to get on with writing about other things, if only to distract me from thinking of the dreadful situation. I'm sure you will understand this - please don't think I'm being superficial.

Thank you once again for all your well wishes.

6 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you and your family. Thank goodness they are ok, but how frightening and devastating for them, and you! Your parents are brave and heroic indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jane for your thoughts, it means so much to me.
      actually brave - or foolhardy. but alive, either way.

      Delete
  2. Dear e, you do have amazing parents, and it must be incredibly difficult for you not to be able to reach them right now. I wonder if it was their beautiful green garden that helped slow the fire and save their house..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you jo. something - luck, hard work, all our prayers.

      Delete
  3. I hope the road opens very soon. If you want some company happy to come over or if you need a break happy for you to come over welcome to stay.

    Your Mum and Dad sound so strong. I'm not sure I would be that strong in the situation they faced. I just hope with this little bit of cold weather that the emergency eases and the residents can start to plan to rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you L. the best thing if for me to stay here so i can be buys around the house and garden, but ia ppreciate your kind offer so much. just knowing you think that means a lot.
      they are amazingly strong. i can't imagine how i would cope - it's bad enough being up here, but i am sure you kick into some kind of survival mode.
      from what mum has told me, a lot of people are planning to stay or return, and rebuild their houses, which means the community will in time rebuild itself too.

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.