26 Jan 2013

greens for dinner

I may be turning into a rabbit. I've noticed lately that many of my meals are green. And nothing but green.

In summer's warmer, brighter times, I like to eat simple, fresh, light. Laziness may play a part in this - I've either squeezed a few hours of gardening in between coming-home-from-work and dinner-then-inside; or on the weekends, when you could argue I have all the time in world for cooking, I'm again out in the garden enjoying the fresh air and tidying up the post-spring flower garden.

Weekend lunches are, quite frankly, usually a thick slice of tangy chewy toasted sourdough, topped with a generous smear of homemade labne (which I will tell you about soon) and an equally generous dribble of homemade basil and parsley pesto.

Dinner is this: I walk from the garden with handfuls of my favourite lettuce, the oakleaf variety (though it's going to seed now, so the leaves are getting tough and a little bitter). I get a hatful of beans: my speckly borlottis, the yellowy ones that curl up into bulbous Cs, the elegantly pencil-slim green ones, and the inkily purple ones that hide behind their leaves.

I have some of dad's delicious black jack zucchinis, and from time to time I get a big bunch of soft, grassy-green silverbeet - even the stems are a fresh pretty green - from my friend F. She says it only grows in the summertime; I must get some of it next season. And I am starting to pick my dark cavolo nero (the caterpillars, it seems, are enjoying it already).

Anyway, when the food miles are that minimal, I merely steam the vegies til just done and then toss them onto the lettuce. Maybe I'll dress it with my pesto (more green) or a little splash of that failsafe olive oil-balsamic vinegar-lemon juice combo. Occasionally, some parmesan curls. Once, I believe, I got fancy and toasted some nuts and did a little sauteeing. Once.

Every now and then I'll live dangerously and bust out some quinoa or some tinned chickpeas, but usually ... not.

Because honestly, enjoying these fresh greens as simply as possible, keeping them light, is good enough for me. Plus it seems more respectful for something plucked from the garden only moments ago. And with all those different textures and shades of emerald, a plate of greens is not boring.

6 comments:

  1. That's a lovely story of a back yard forage. I love going out for a handful of this and that, just enough to make a meal. Very satisfying, and we can re-invent local eating by quoting our food metres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning sue! yes, it is foraging - especially finding the purple beans, they are very well hidden. and i love the idea of food metres.

      Delete
  2. I love beans fresh from the garden. Problem is they hardly ever make it to the kitchen - as i can't stop snacking on them as i pick them! Note to self: don't garden while hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea rachel! though i must be the only gardener in the world who doesn't like raw beans or peas, so they are quite safe with me. tomatoes, on the other hand...

      Delete
  3. I know how you feel, I have been eating beans and tomatoes for months now, with my garden having a glut. The funny thing is that keeping it simple is just so good when cooking them. Though I am only just getting my lettuce going now. Look forward to reading more of your adventures in Hobart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, and welcome to dig in! it sometimes feels sacrilegious to fancy up your fresh produce with too many favours.
      and i would love a glut of beans and tomatoes! i had to BUY beans on the weekend and it felt wrong. thank you and i look forward to seeing you here again.

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.