17 Aug 2014

boozy brownies


B has told me that some of my posts make her laugh out loud, which often surprises me. I may occasionally aim for witty, but I never think of myself as a funny writer. Not intentionally anyway.

To me, the writing below (excuse the pun) takes the cake; it cracks me up every time I follow this recipe. It's an advertisement by an American sugar company. First I was seduced by the picture of the brownies, but then by the hilarious copy (read it in your best Southern 'girlfriend' voice). I really have to share it with you verbatim - this will make you laugh out loud!

Cocoa brownies to heal a heart broken by a man who promises it wasn't you, it was him, and by him he means a girl named Stacey Lee

Come on - you have to make these now, right?

Count the years you dated. If it exceeds 5, double the recipe. Oven, 350. 8 inch pan, greased. In a bowl: 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted. Not margerine, butter. Diet starts tomorrow. 1 cup all natural Sugar in the Raw. You can sub 1/2 cup zero calorie Stevia Extract in the Raw with 1/2 cup Sugar in the Raw but a time like this calls for the good ol' stuff. Mix, then add 1/2 cup flour. It's ok, today calls for carbs. 1 tspn of baking powder. Wonder what it does? Don't. Just add it. 3 eggs, yolks and all, 1 tspn of vanilla extract, 1/3 cup dutch cocoa powder, 1 cup chopped walnuts. Now stir it up, throw it in the oven for 20, and cry till you hear the timer. Let them cool for 10, then devour that pan of chocolatey goodness, girlfriend. Uh, we mean friend.

Now that makes me laugh.

Boozy brownies
Adapted (translated) from a Stevia ad.
  • Preheat your oven to 180 and prep a brownie tin.
  • In a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt 125 gms butter with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar and 1 tspn vanilla.
  • If you wish to, stir thru a good 1/4 cup of Tia Maria or Frangelico; I'm going to try Stone's Ginger Wine next. I find the alcoholic versions end up fudgier, and go down a treat with your workmates at morning tea.
  • Remove from heat and stir in 3 eggs, then 1/2 cup plain flour, 1 tspn baking powder, 1/3 cup cocoa powder (I use normal Cadbury's Bourneville, not dutch), and 1 cup walnut pieces.
  • Transfer to brownie tin and bake 20-25 minutes until the edges start to come away and feels just firm; as with any brownie, you want it to be still moist.
  • Enjoy, broken heart or not.

16 comments:

  1. Is there anything better than brownie...as you said, broken heart or not! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these have been on 'repeat bake' for me lately, jane - so i have to agree with you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thank you lizzy. would be very warming for a chilly canberra day.

      Delete
  3. i do love brownies but they have to be gooey! and i love the hilarious copy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the alcohol that helps make these sticky, sherry - i took a pic of a tee-total version; it's still moist, but not gooey, as you say!
      and yes, every word makes me chuckle!

      Delete
  4. Love it! I'm tempted to go and make them right now.
    I usually get a giggle from your posts too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, this is making me look at my stuff in a whole new light!
      go on, jacqui - i'm sure you deserve some chocolatey goodness, girlfriend ;-)

      Delete
  5. I would have just left the comment 'LOL'... but I'm way too old for that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now i want to reply LOL back - but me too, GD!!

      Delete
  6. I’m totally out of my element here, which will be obvious in my response. I’m resigned to the fact that blogs have a predisposition for (let’s just say) the more advanced feminine way of thinking :-) Anyhow, I’ll try and comment but please don’t call me girlfriend. I’m not a big fan of chocolate brownies but these look delicious (must be the alcohol) and yes the recipe is a cracker broken heart of not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Advanced feminine way of thinking' - i like that and i'm sure everyone else here would too!
      Maybe you haven't met the right brownie. These could be the one :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, you had me at the title! I'd love to eat my feelings with these delicious fudgy looking brownies and yes very, very funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's just so much fun to say 'boozy brownies' (especially at work morning tea)! thanks catherine!

      Delete
  8. I wish every recipe was written like this!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe that's a challenge to set ourselves, carla! but this can't be topped, really, it's brilliantly funny :-)

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.