15 Oct 2013

vegie slice

My al desko lunch

My first vegie slice in months, and the perfect lunch solution in so many ways.

First and foremost, it's easy to make when I come home from a weekend at mum and dad's - when I'm unpacking bags of mulch, bunches of flowers, icecream containers of seedlings, maybe a carton of eggs and a cooler bag of carrots and pumpkin.

A vegie slice is forgiving, and will usually gladly help you clean out your fridge of those neglected ingredients. Like the chunks of pumpkin I roasted with garlic and fresh garden sage, ready for a midweek tangle of spaghetti, but ... I forgot about.

Finally, a vegie slice is a wonderful way to pack lots of nutritious vegies into one convenient dish. Four vegies should be a minimum, don't you think? This one had those still-bright-orange pumpkin chunks (one), some diced red capsicum (two), a finely chopped onion (does a basic like onion count?), some corn kernels from the depths of mum's freezer (three. Or four), and finally - silverbeet. Lots and lots of verdant silverbeet, whizzed up in my food processor (complete with tender stalks) to produce a juicy green mulch. Okay, so it looked a little like lawn clippings. But look at the colour in the pic above! I was very pleased with the greeny-greeness produced by whizzing it up so finely.

So there's my lunch for this week, a delicious mix of fresh and salvaged vege, held together with a slurp of milk, sour cream and six little bantam eggs, and topped with some crunchy panko crumbs.

What are you having for lunch this week?

18 comments:

  1. I really, really love vegie slices for lunch. Thanks for reminding me, I'll get onto that right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, glad to prompt you Jo!
      And just think - zucchini slices are just aroudn the corner...

      Delete
  2. This looks like perfect, nutritious lunch food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And there's me thinking that soup was the only way to go with the 'past its sell by date' veg from the bottom of the fridge - vegie slices are now on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see, i'm hopeless at soup, so that's never been an option for me, gardendeli :-)

      Delete
  4. YUM, looks like an awesome lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo - welcome to Dig In, I believe!
      gosh, i guess it is! which is just as well, because i am eating it every day this week :-)

      Delete
  5. Yummy! I haven't made anything that resembles a vegie slice for years! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, you'll have to get to it! just think, zucchini season is just around the corner... perfect vegie slice ingredient.

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious. I love all things spinach. Spinach slice is one of my favourites. If it's on the menu...I buy it!

    I am intrigued by the bantam eggs, how do they compare to chicken eggs?

    Whilst away recently I bought spinach slice with sun-dried tomatoes. Tasty!

    I always love to learn something new and this time it is about Panko Crumbs. Thanks for that, I've probably eaten them a hundred times without realising it. haha.

    Save a slice of vegetarian pie for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bantam eggs are tinier than chook eggs, still taste the same, but you need a lot more.
      sudnried (or the juicier semi-dried ones) woudl be really tasty - great suggestion, SB.

      Delete
  7. Al desko lunch ... i love it. It's salad all round for our lunches this week. We have more salad leaves growing in the garden than is sensible. I feel a nice big Greek salad coming up tomorrow ... after that, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello FS! lovely to hear from you!
      i am hanging out for decent salad weather - both eating and growing! my little leaves are as big as my pinky nail, so someway off just yet :-) enjoy for me!

      Delete
  8. The perfect meal to get rid of veggie leftovers e! I loved your sentence 'al desko lunch', brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks paula :-) any inventive way of using up leftovers is a good thing!

      Delete
  9. That looks so healthy! You'd pay serious money for it in a cafe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello celia - thank you! ha, i'll remember that next time i'm simply eating at my desk over the keyboard :-)

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.