22 Sept 2013

mum's Russian slice

 

Ways to lift your spirit:
  • Walk through a garden or park, especially when you’re in the city.
  • Enjoy the spring blooms — camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas, tulips — even the fallen and rain-sodden ones.
  • Say hello to a puppy.
  • Watch a blackbird pull a worm from the ground, and fly off - to a nest of chicks perhaps?
  • Listen to chickens cluck, magpies warble, blue wrens titter.
  • Snuggle into a new woollen scarf in a colour you don’t normally wear.
  • Get new kitchen flooring.
  • Enjoy a visit to (or from) mum and dad, and the homemade goodies that go with it (with a good cup of tea).
 
What lifts your spirits?


Mum’s Russian slice
This is one of my favourite things that my mum bakes; it's simple and wonderfully old-fashioned. I love its flavour as well as its pillowy appearance. This is the first time I have ever made it. Do make sure you lick the bowl.
  • Preheat your oven to 190 and prep a small slice tin (mine's about 17 by 27cms).
  • In a saucepan large enough to act as a mixing bowl, melt 175 gms butter and 2 tbspns golden syrup.
  • Remove from heat then stir in 1/4 light brown sugar, 1 1/2 tspn vanilla, 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins, and 1/4 cup walnut pieces.
  • Now stir thru 1 1/4 cups plain flour, 1 1/2 tspn baking powder, and 1 egg.
  • Blob into slice tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  • Serve at morning tea time.

17 comments:

  1. All good things e, especially that yummy slice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jane! what do they say abotu the simple things in life...?

      Delete
  2. This is my mother-in-law's recipe, except she called it Chinaman's Slice, which always sounds very unpolitically correct. But we have been making it for years, because it is SOOO yummy, and it is really hard to call it anything else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jo, i was hoping someone could tell me why it's called 'russian' slice - but you've only confused the matter!
      i'll have to let mum know you call it chinaman's slice - which yes, sounds terribly un-PC (even more so than russian slice) :-)

      Delete
  3. Whether it was Russion or Chinese the slice was well enjoyed by the Tasmanians today. You have set the bar now Elizabeth so we look forward to what morning tea delights you have instore for the remainder of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When did you last look in the container??

    ReplyDelete
  5. A one bowl slice, so convenient e! Walking always does the trick for me, lifts my mood in a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree paula - striding it out in the fresh air can raise your heart rate and your mood.

      Delete
  6. Hi there E...I have only just returned!
    Hey, these look tasty! I have just noticed your prunes too and the cute little cakes. Oohwah! Me likey!
    So what lifts my spirits?
    A room full of puppies for sure!
    When a baby smiles at me?
    Nature's Glory in every form. Sunrise and sunset.
    Eating melted chocolate with a spoon. OMG!
    The look of love in someone's eyes!
    The cuddle from my sleepy teenager first thing in the morning that shows me she is still and always will be - My Little Girl.
    A Vintage Carousel!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey SB, i've missed you around here!
      i love your list. sunsets in particular do it for me, too - a pretty one always compensates for an early start to the day.
      and i doubt anyone will disagree with you on the melted chocolate :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi there E...I have only just returned!
    Hey, these look tasty! I have just noticed your prunes too and the cute little cakes. Oohwah! Me likey!
    So what lifts my spirits?
    A room full of puppies for sure!
    When a baby smiles at me?
    Nature's Glory in every form. Sunrise and sunset.
    Eating melted chocolate with a spoon. OMG!
    The look of love in someone's eyes!
    The cuddle from my sleepy teenager first thing in the morning that shows me she is still and always will be - My Little Girl.
    A Vintage Carousel!



    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your list and another beautiful looking cake! When I feel blue, I like to make foods that involve being deep fried. Sounds awful but a hot doughnut really does fix the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, i believe you hannah - my friend B recently observed that you can't beat anything that is deepfried and cheesy. very wise words!
    hmmm, i like jam filled donuts best. now i have a mission at lunchtime ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m a puppy with green eyes. Quite cute actually!
    You haven’t said hello to me…. for a while.
    Say hello and it may lift your spirits.
    :-P

    ReplyDelete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.