7 Jun 2015

garden share: june

 
I’m a bit all over the place lately (I apologise if I’m not reading your blogs in a timely manner), so I missed last week’s garden share collective posting. Or rather, I thought was this week. In which case, I am on schedule. For something. Anyway, what’s happening in my vegie garden right now?

It’s all about the soil (above; all these photos were taken just after the sun came up one very frosty morning this week. My fingers are still thawing out). I’ve gradually pulled all the summer crops: the zucchinis, corn, beans, tomatoes (okay, Dad did those) and kale are all gone. The kale went to mum and dad’s chooks. Waste not, want not; though the girls seem to have forgotten their side of the deal — that is, laying eggs. We think they’re too well fed right now. Still, the kale plants were a few years old, getting a bit tough and bitter, and full of aphids. So off to the chooks.
A row of frosty carrots
 
I’ve been digging the bare beds over, and incorporating great handfuls of ‘stuff’ to replenish the soil after the growing season. Sheep poo, dolomite, blood and bone, gypsum; a bit of everything and anything that dad has given me. I currently have four bags of horse poo, from a work colleague, in the back of my car. It’s smelly work. The neighbours must love it.

In place of growing green manure crops (which we seem to discuss endlessly but never get around to doing anything about), I’ve been gathering bunches of newly-sprouted nasturtiums from a garden bed ‘out the front’ (my flower gardens). I didn’t want them smothering the bulbs, so I figured digging them in to the vegie beds would be a great solution. They’re so soft and tender and juicy and should provide good green nutrients.

I’ve also been taking bagfuls of chickweed from mum and dad’s garden. We laugh that I am taking weeds. But again, it’s soft and fresh and should break down easily once buried in the soil.

In some patches there are an amazing quantity of earthworms – it really is exciting to see! Other areas are ‘vacant’, so hopefully fortifying with this organic matter (and my kitchen scraps, which I continue to bury here and there) will help.
There’s been a little planting going on, more so than in previous winters. I bought some organic Tasmanian garlic (my harvest was not big enough) and have about 30 cloves in.  I’m doing an experiment: I’ve planted some in a row in one of the beds, and some in a white polystyrene box. I want to see which grow better, those in the ground or those in the container. Rotting off versus drying out…
I’ve also planted three sprouting broccoli (below; not purple), and four small silverbeet seedlings (from mum and dad’s garden) and a few rows of different pea varieties. I’ve only recently learned that peas should be grown in winter, and after seeing some flourishing crops in people’s backyards (while on my lunchtime walks — I’m very much a stickybeak!), I realised I had to get to it.
It looks dry, doesn't it? We are not getting much rain, and I need to water regularly
 
I’m not harvesting anything: I’m getting all of my fruit and vegies now from either mum and dad (apples and pears of many wonderful varieties, good for eating and cooking; carrots and silverbeet and delicious pumpkins), or the shops. And I continue to collect and scatter marigold seeds — it’s become a bit of a compulsion.

Winter has set in: it’s been very cold and snowy, and by the time I get home from work, it is cold and dark. So all garden work is done on the weekend. But it’s wonderful to rug up, make a thermos of tea, and potter about in the garden. Digging warms me up, and it all keeps me connected with my garden space.

The almost-empty beds, save some valiant marigolds, bee-attracting larkspur (much more purple than this photo captures, and a self-seeded pumpkin, severely burnt by the frost).

10 comments:

  1. I had a nightmare with green manure when I took over my allotment. I planted what was supposed to be a mixture, and ended up with thick grass that was absolutely impossible to dig in. I went over the bed twice trying, but in the end I had to go over it a third time and dig the whole lot out, one clump at a time. If I sow any again I will try field beans I think or something that is killed by the frost. Nice to see a veggie garden on the other side of the world as summer hits its stride here. I've never tried planting peas in autumn although I know it can be done for an early crop. It sounds as though you're adding loads of wonderful stuff, your soil will be fantastic. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh CJ, that is a nightmare! I actually planted some clumps of chickweed yesterday - yes, I am planting weeds! I hope they don't take over the beds TOO Much.
      there's no much to see in my beds now, until those peas come up.

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling that frost! Very chilly gardening weather, and a gale blowing today! I am loving watching my garlic popping up as well. Clearly it has some other internal clock than the weather..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jo the weather is horrendous right now - the winds over the weekend so scary. I try not to look out the window at the trees as they do their best (or so it seems) to touch their toes!
      yes I wouldn't grow in this weather, but the garlic seems very sturdy, on set on its own course.
      stay warm and dry, jo.

      Delete
  3. I gave up on green manures because they attracted too many slugs and cutworms to the garden. I do better without it. But usually we are wet. Not this May but usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's something to think about, daphne - as I am usually blissfully free of snails and slugs. i wouldn't want that!

      Delete
  4. There is still quite a bit happening in your garden, despite the cold. We haven't yet had a frost, so a few valiant summer plants are still holding in there. But it is definitely the slow time for the garden. I can't wait for solstice so the days start getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everyone is solstice-mad here in Tassie :-)
      there is a lot more going on this winter than previous years bek, that is true - I'm determined to give this winter gardening a good try. even thru the frosts! I just remind myself that the brassicas like a frost, even if I don't.

      Delete
  5. oH GOLLLY, your garden looks cold! I am also planting snow peas, some winters it is just too warm for them up here though. I find that if I keep the ground covered with mulch (or even cardboard) I get less weeds popping up, and more earthworms underneath. I tried a green manure once and it was a bit of a disaster, although I did have a crop of long green beans that filled in a bit of space and hopefully added some nitrogen to the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for just finding your comment, AA. yes it was cold with that light layer of frost! we definitely don't sit complain about warm winters - we wish!!!
      the green manure is a bit of an experiment for me - it's great to read of everyone's experiences, which so far are pretty patchy.

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.