18 Nov 2013

sauteed greens for a sunday supper



A Sunday supper of sauteed greens. Nothing fancy or time-consuming; this is Sunday evening, afterall, the last hurrah of me-time and down-time before the Monday-to-Friday, nine-to-five begins all over again. But something a little fancier than Sunday lunch, which was a bowl of muesli and a biscuit, because I was gardening, the sun was out, and I just wanted fast fuel.

Here is the simplest of suppers, with a shortcut or two to make it even quicker. First I put some casserecce on to boil, the quantity I have worked out is just enough (65 grams, if you are so interested).

Next, I heated some garlic-infused oil - I was too lazy to chop even garlic, yes.  Into that, one whole chilli and some ginger slices - straight from the freezer - to further infuse the oil with flavour and punch. Once the chilli had softened, I added a handful of PSB; it is nearing the end of its season, and the stalks are getting thinner and the heads more like blossoms than tight florets. I also use the going-to-seed tops of my kale, tender and leafy and a little like a soft broccoli floret. Flowers and all.


In they go, along with a few sprigs of parsley, stalks and all. A sizzle around til the PSB and kale darkens and the parsley goes crispy, and then tumbled thru the cooked pasta. A good squeeze of lemon juice, some chunky S&P and crumbled feta, just enough to add another texture and more bite. And done!



14 comments:

  1. This looks like perfect, easy, healthy food. I could eat a bowl of this right now! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jane! It made me think of your no-waste post - I'll even eat kale flowers :-)
      you too!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! Making me look forlornly at my salad for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becs! I'm sure your salad is great! but pasta is always better ;-)

      Delete
  3. Delicious AND nutritious, just my kind of meal!

    Nice mix of flavours and spices, though I am intrigued by the flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, once they are cooked you can't tell they are flowers. But then, think of stuffed zucchini flowers, SB - very edible!

      Delete
  4. So healthy, so quick and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lizzy, I almost thought this was 'too easy' to share - but then, it was so tasty and healthy, i just had to!

      Delete
  5. I love the creamy paleness of the feta juxtaposed with the dark greens. Looks so good and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you leaf - i'm having a feta moment right now and it really worked well with the greens.

      Delete
  6. Oh yum, oh yum! Casarecce is our new favourite pasta, having discovered it this year, as it comes in a cardboard box, not a plastic bag. I would love to whip this up for lunch, but I am afraid if I pop outside for the greens I might get struck by lightning! Is there a positively biblical storm raging in Hobart as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not yet, jo, but the rain has started falling again and it's turned very black and dark. so any minute now!
      so in the interests of safety, maybe casarecce with sauteed greens ... minus the greens :-)

      Delete
  7. Yum, my kind of meal, sadly this would be roundly rejected by small beings though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one to keep for a solo lunch perhaps? i think as i child i would have screwed my face up at something so unrelentingly dark green too!

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.