15 Mar 2013

rosewater cupcakes


I have been accused of being a girly girl – based, I think, on my fondness for wearing colourful dresses and pink lipstick – yet when it comes to the food I cook, I don’t go for pretty. Twirly cupcakes with fancy frosting look like too much hard work: I just want to have my cake and eat it, now. Occasionally I’ll whip some cream, but mostly my cakes go unadorned (naked!).

These cupcakes are unabashedly feminine, even without the cake-world accessories of frosting or sprinkles or shiny silver cachous (though I did make these in some very girly cupcakes, all wavy bands in a perfect lipstick shade!).

It’s the rosewater that does it: so fragrant and heady, it evokes turkish delight and blousy David Austin roses and the colour pink. A little swirl of strawberry jam adds to the sweet flavour and tints the batter a delicate blush (sadly, the hue fades with baking). And I can’t think of a better word to describe the final little cakes than ‘fluffy’.
These were strange cakes in the making. There was hardly any butter, so it didn’t ‘cream’ with the sugar but resembled coarse sand; with the remaining dry ingredients added in it looked like crumbly almond meal. However adding the milk transformed this dubious texture to a smooth, mousse-like batter. They baked beautifully, with a perfectly flat top, just made for decorating with great swirls of frosting if you so desired.
 
Rosewater cupcakes
The starting point was a rosewater cupcake recipe photocopied from (I think) a Hummingbird Bakery cookbook borrowed from the library. I halved the original recipe and ended up with ten cupcakes.

  • Preheat oven to 180 and line your muffin tins with pretty cupcake papers.
  • Use a hand-held electric whisk to combine 40 gms soft butter with 140 gms sugar.
  • Sift in 120 gms plain flour, ½ tbspn baking powder and a big pinch of salt into the butter/sugar. Mash it in using a silicone spatula and/or your fingers – it should resemble almond meal.
  • In a measuring jug, combine 130 ml full-fat milk with 1 egg and give it a quick whisk with a fork (just to break the egg up). Add 2 tspns rosewater (I use the Queens brand from the supermarket, so adjust if your brand is stronger or more subtle).
  • Pour this into the dry ingredients, add 2 tbspns strawberry jam, and use your electric whisk to combine all the ingredients – it should foam up to a beautiful creamy mousse (licking the bowl is definitely required for this recipe).
  • Divide the mixture between your muffin cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.

6 comments:

  1. I am absolutely going to make these! I live for anything rosewater (and spray it on my pillow before bed every single night).
    Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i spray lavendar on my pillows - but rosewater would make for sweet dreams indeed! glad you like these, nat.

      Delete
  2. I love a bit of rosewater here and there... the cupcakes must taste quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey leaf - yes, and the smell too is gorgeous.

      Delete
  3. I have never cooked with Rosewater before, these look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi lizzie. I should have added to my post that I add a few drops of rosewater when I am stewing fruit like cherries and berries - it compliments those fruity flavours well. It's well worth trying!

      Delete

Word-verification is on, as the robot-spammers are loving my tuna past bake too much at the moment! I hope you understand - and I hope you'll still leave a comment at Dig In. I love hearing your thoughts, knowing someone is reading, and will always reply. Unless you're a robot-spammer.